Ruben Sandwich With Mustard Pickles
- 2 teaspoons Colman’s Mild Mustard
- 40 gms soft butter
- 6 slices Rye bread or similar
- 8 slices pastrami or smoked beef
- 8 slices Swiss or tasty cheese
- Handful of baby spinach or kale leaves
- Pickles – ¼ cucumber, 1 small red onion, 1/4 cup spiced vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 teaspoons Colmans mustard, fresh dill or herbs
Combine the butter and mild mustard and mix well then spread over two slices of the bread. Layer the sandwich with pastrami, cheese slices, spinach leaves another layer of mild mustard buttered bread and then repeat with the pastrami, cheese and spinach ending with the final slice of buttered bread. Pre-heat a frying pan and spray with oil or use a little butter. Toast the sandwiches over a gentle heat until golden and melting.
For the pickles – slice the cucumber and onion thinly and simmer with the vinegar, honey, mild mustard and herbs for 5-8 minutes until softened.
Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the mild mustard pickles.
These pretty mild mustard pickles will give any cold meat or sandwich a flavour boost!